Tuesday, May 15, 2012

On Rothko

One of the the most influencial artists for me is Mark Rothko.  I love the simplicity of his work and yet his work is emotionally powerful and complex on a monumental level.  When I visited his works at the Tate in London in 2010 I stood quite close to his paintings and I literally was swaying, hypnotised - every movement in his brushstrokes is deliberate, alive and symbolic.  I get his work.  I think Rothko is a genius as many others do and I am so happy he created all these monumental paintings.  I haven't found a painter like him who has had such an effect on me.  The experience is all there before you and you never know what may come up for you when you take the time to stand or sit infront of one of these environments for at least a half hour:  more like all day for me!!  I am including some of his images below though a small image does not do them justice.  It is just an introduction to his work.















Thank you for taking a look!  The last picture is taken at the Rothko Chapel in Houston, TX.

www.francesseward.com

Best,
Frances

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...